When selecting a new healthcare provider, it is important that you feel comfortable with them. This is especially important when selecting a new dentist Adelaide as dental procedures require the dentist to closely examine your mouth.
Some people have a genuine fear of visiting a dentist and it should be a goal for all dentists to help alleviate this debilitating reason many avoid a visit to the dentist Adelaide. A friendly, ethical and approachable dentist will have your best interests at the forefront of their treatment planning. They will present the patient with clear options so that an informed choice can be made.
Some things to consider:
- Is the dentist practice QIP accredited – committed to quality, safety and excellence? QIP accreditation is currently voluntary whereby a dental practice has undergone an independent accreditation process to evaluate a commitment to providing excellent dental care and continuous quality improvement.
- If the dentist Adelaide is registered with the Australian Dental Association (ADA) use their Find a Dentist locator for a comprehensive list of dentists.
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family – they are best placed to know you and what dentist Adelaide would suit you and your needs.
- Visit their dentist Adelaide website – check out descriptions of treatments performed, biographies of team members, online booking options and contact details
- Will the dentist Adelaide location and opening hours be convenient for you? Is it situated close to parking and public transport options. Does it have good access for people living with a disability?
- Team biographies will provide an invaluable guide to who will be responsible for your oral health. Making an appointment to discuss your needs and expectations will help you determine if the dentist Adelaide is right for you.
- Where did the dentist undertake their training? Adelaide Dental School’s 2018 QS World University Ranking is listed in the top 35 in the world (ranking is 32).
- A general dentist Adelaide should undertake continuing education to make sure skills are not only maintained but further enhanced.
- Does the dentist Adelaide provide information regarding fees and payment plans before treatment is scheduled?
- What is the dentist Adelaide policy for cancellations and are there any penalties imposed for failure to attend? We offer a free check-up to new patients however, if the appointment is missed without notification then the appointment will no longer be free.
- What is the dentist Adelaide approach to preventive dentistry? Do they have a hygiene department and patient recall system?
- What health insurance providers is the dentist Adelaide affiliated with?
- Are you treated with dignity and respect when contacting the dentist Adelaide practice?
- When attending the practice for an appointment are the staff courteous and welcoming? Are they dressed in clean uniforms?
- Does the dentist Adelaide practice look organised and tidy? Do the treatment rooms and equipment look clean? It should smell clean and fresh. Staff should always wear appropriate protective barriers such as gloves and masks when performing treatment.
It is important to gather all relevant information to help you make an informed decision but at the end of the day … trusting your gut instincts can be helpful too.